Motorhome or Shuttle Bus conversion, suggestions?

vendredi 8 avril 2016

Anyone have any experience with a wheelchair motorhome conversion? I am ready to invest in a custom conversion and looking for suggestions. My plan is to convert a 20 to 23 foot motorhome or shuttle bus into my daily transportation. I sit tall in my wheelchair and for comfort require a minimum of 60 inches of headroom. I want the option of mounting a single wide hospital bed in the vehicle for days when I cannot travel in my chair. I also want Ramp access.

My first choice of vehicles is the Vixen 21 motorhome. It is a rear-engine model and with minor modifications will allow the user front seat wheelchair access.

My second choice of vehicles is the ELF converted Ford E350 or E450. They are front-wheel drive low floor conversions and already have Ramp access.

It is my desire to find a low mileage ELF, or a restored/upgraded vintage motorhome. I have discovered that there have been a number of front-wheel drive motorhomes produced over the past 40 years. They are unique in that they are relatively compact, low to the ground, and handle more like a car than a truck. They also get better gas mileage than the traditional motorhome.

Low-floor Motorhomes:

1973-78 GMC, FWD Oldsmobile Toronado 455 drivetrain.
1983-92 Winnebago Lesharo, FWD - with Chrysler 3.3 engine upgrade.
1986-89 Vixen 21, BMW turbo diesel or Buick V6 rear-engine transaxle.
1991-92 Clarion, FWD Ford F250 drivetrain.
1995-04 Winnebago Rialta, FWD Volkswagen drivetrain.

The required accessibility modifications to the motorhomes would involve installing a wider entrance door, Ramp, air suspension, safety modifications, plus the traditional ad-ons.

Please feel free to volunteer any suggestions, ideas, or experience you have had with custom conversions or with the above mentioned vehicles.

Thank you.
Motorhome or Shuttle Bus conversion, suggestions?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire