Battling for oxygen at home

vendredi 29 avril 2016

Yesterday my pulmonologist recommended standby oxygen in my home as my oxygen levels have not been where they should be. I use bi-pap overnight and naps but have been very tired for past 3 weeks or so. The doctor said using the oxygen at setting 1 would help me during the day - using maybe an hour or so.
They faxed the order to the business handling my bi-pap supplies. Two hours later the doctor's office called me to say the company would not provide the in-home oxygen as my test showed I didn't need it. (My pulse/oximeter reading at home is usually between 85 and 91, and read 87 in the doctor's office).

Just wondering if anyone has encountered this....that is, a medical supply company refusing to provide something like this, probably due to Medicare reimbursement to them.

I recently went through 4 months trying to get a certain bi-pap machine replacement (after they told me mine was so old that the water chamber was no longer available). They then provided me one with no alarm for escaping air, and I would not use it or accept it and had them take it back. They said they could not provide one with an alarm. I then met with my pulmonologist who somehow got them to recognize my neuromuscular diagnosis (Polio paralysis) and need for the alarm in addition to a "back-up rate" (which provides a little burst of air if a person doesn't take a breath), and the company then called me to say "you are now in a different category and we can provide a different bi-pap machine with an alarm and back-up rate". (The alarm on my old machine only kicks on when there's an air leak or if I fail to take a breath.)
Why didn't they tell me about this "different category"; their therapist had been to my home twice and knew I was paralyzed.

I am in the process of having the pulmonologist's office re-check the information on the prescription which was faxed to the company. The doctor had clearly told me and my husband that I should try to get the oxygen delivered yesterday or today!
Battling for oxygen at home

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire