Recommended treatment for recurring C diff

jeudi 28 avril 2016

After a course of antibiotics, I came down with a lovely C diff infection. My doctor prescribed Flagyl, and it got rid of the diarrhea within a day. I was thrilled with how quickly it acted! After completing the 10 day course of Flagyl, I started getting gassy and putting out mucus with my stool again. I talked with my doctor, and he put me on another course of Flagyl for 14 days. Again, my bowel movements became normal within 24 hours.

5 days after completing this second course of Flagyl, the watery diarrhea has returned. It's got the unique stench of C diff, so I don't think it's any sort of bug or other antibiotics-associated diarrhea. I visited my doctor again, and he wanted to put me on vancomycin. He warned me that it is expensive, and sometimes it takes several days to get insurance to authorize it (if at all). Even if my insurance covered 80% of it, that would still leave a $200 bill for a 10 day course!

As my doctor predicted, my insurance didn't automatically cover it, so he prescribed me another course of Flagyl. Do I just need to suck it up and get the vancomycin, no matter the cost? Are there any other newer medications for C diff that I could consider?
Recommended treatment for recurring C diff

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire