First wound in 42 years

jeudi 28 avril 2016

Well, it's finally happened; got my first wound on the inner cheek of my right buttock. We think it was from a new mattress we bought. It wasn't as firm as our old one so when I went to transfer on the bed, my hand would go into the mattress rather than lifting my butt out of the chair; dragging my ass over the wheel. We exchanged it for a more firm custom mattress.

Went to the wound clinic last year and seemed to have healed up except for a small pinhole. A year later it got worse.

Finally the wound doc said it was time to close it and had a plastic surgeon come into one of my appointments. He said it's not near any bone and has plenty of skin to clean and suture it closed rather than having a flap done. Then will spend SIX weeks either in the hosp. or assisted living in a Clinitron type bed 24/7. Then start getting back in the chair for a while. I asked him if I could go to inpatient rehab for a week or two after to learn new skillsets and how to transfer with a board. It's been almost 43 years since rehab for me. So one in that time is something I can't complain about but it's still frustrating as hell.

I just hope I can still use the stander and my handcycle when I get out; they keep me sane. Will have to get a padded shower bench I guess and a seating eval before I leave. I'm kind of at a loss on dme equipment needed to keep me independent as possible.

It's so surreal thinking about how I'll be bed bound for six weeks. Wish me luck and any pointers on spending the time or other suggestions will be appreciated. Will bring the uke along and learn some new songs ll.
First wound in 42 years

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire