Health implications of SCI in old age

mardi 26 avril 2016

This has been a question/concern that's crossed my mind over the years, and has come back again with a vengeance in a recent relationship, as my girlfriend's parents are extremely against her dating someone in a wheelchair, because they believe that with age, I'll be less and less able to take care of her (and you know how parents always want the best for their children!)

So, I ask you folks here on CCC, what ARE the long term health implications of SCI as we get older and older? I have, of course, heard of the risks associated with long term catheterization, the obvious osteoporosis and atrophy issues, possible male reproductive concerns, and how we're more at risk for cardiovascular disease (though I've yet to see this one confirmed/discussed here).

While I am curious about the particulars above, my main question is: assuming we're otherwise healthy, does our quality of life or ability to provide for others get worse any faster than it would for non-SCI individuals? If so, in what ways? I imagine this also depends on your level of injury too: in my case, T-11/T-12 complete since I was 3, currently in my 30s.

And if there's a better forum to post this into (life, or relationships), suggestions are welcome!
Health implications of SCI in old age

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire