First post here so hopefully I'm doing this right. Details: C-6 quad, 48 years post injury (yep, that makes me 69), BP routine- daily with magic bullets and dig stim- which has become too painful, too long, too unreliable. Got my first colonoscopy last fall, thanks in good part to the posts here. That went well- at least the test did, prep was prep. I am finally going the colostomy route (again, thanks to the many people who have shared their experiences here) , just waiting to schedule the surgery. The surgeon has experience with spina bifida patients, not so much SCI; his nurse has worked on neuro ward; my PCP pretty much trusts my judgment about my needs/limits; ostomy nurse (whom I've talked with 2x) has minimal experience with SCI, lots with ostomies. Every one of them thinks the colostomy is a good idea. I've read most of the related posts here; have been through the information on UOAA and similar sites; have tried attaching/removing flanges and pouches from Hollister, Coloplast, Convatec. And I'm still a bit panicked about doing this!
The current issue is how much I can do, especially transferring, when I get home post op (dr. estimates a 3 day hospital stay if the laprascopic surgery goes well ). I'm 5', probably 94 lb, reasonably healthy, live independently. WOCN nurse thinks I should be in some sort of assisted living situation for at least 2 weeks-- that's not going to happen. From what I've read, the first week especially sounds pretty overwhelming (SCI or not) and I certainly don't want to develop a peristomal hernia. My sister will stay with me for the first 5-7 days. So, I need the advice of those of you who have been through this and the SCI nurses. When can I start transferring? What kind of help might I need and for how long? Can I use an abdomial binder or peristomal belt? What questions am I'm failing to ask that I should?
Colostomy?post op home care & activity restrictions
The current issue is how much I can do, especially transferring, when I get home post op (dr. estimates a 3 day hospital stay if the laprascopic surgery goes well ). I'm 5', probably 94 lb, reasonably healthy, live independently. WOCN nurse thinks I should be in some sort of assisted living situation for at least 2 weeks-- that's not going to happen. From what I've read, the first week especially sounds pretty overwhelming (SCI or not) and I certainly don't want to develop a peristomal hernia. My sister will stay with me for the first 5-7 days. So, I need the advice of those of you who have been through this and the SCI nurses. When can I start transferring? What kind of help might I need and for how long? Can I use an abdomial binder or peristomal belt? What questions am I'm failing to ask that I should?
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire