C5/6 for fifteen years and no blood clots..very grateful, but is this normal?

mercredi 4 mai 2016

A few days after the car accident that started this whole adventure, bone fusion surgery was done. A blood clot was traveling towards my lungs during this and was caught in time. An inferior vena cava (Greenfield) filter was then installed to prevent this from happening again. So, supposedly I'll won't be in danger of having a pulmonary embolism.
However, I'm curious about something.
I hear stories of people getting blood clots in their legs due to a time of bed rest or even an airplane ride, when their legs are immobile for a time.
The burning question in the back of my mind was always: why don't I have these?
I finally asked someone, and they told me that, for some reason, SCI patients tended to not get blood clots. What I'd like to know is, why? Does our blood get thinner as a result of our injury (I'm not on a blood thinner) Is this statement even accurate and if so, why?
Wise, SCI nurse?
C5/6 for fifteen years and no blood clots..very grateful, but is this normal?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire