Has anyone tried a DIY approach to custom-fit back cushions?

dimanche 11 octobre 2015

Just thinking crazy ideas here. My wife has a crazy arch in her back (metal rods), and the wheelchair backs she's used so far just don't work. In order to fit her back appropriately the back would have to be almost half-tube shape. She's used very short ones, since anything else just doesn't even touch most of her back. But when they're that short, they don't support her much. Catch 22 at that point. I *think* what she really needs is something that fits her back arch. Then it can be taller w/o getting in the way, and support her better. I've been looking at some of the wheelchair backs out there, haven't seen ones that look like they'd work well at all. Even the customizable ones (ie. the foam wedges) aren't enough.

I had this crazy idea; what about a DIY custom molded seat back? I'm curious what options there are out there (DIY and non-DIY), and also curious if anyone's tried this before.

My first thoughts:

* Mold her back using paper mache
* Pad that mold with foam/clay/etc to build up thickness (and also alter the shape)
* Fiberglass the inside to make a hard shell
* Remove paper mache & padding, leaving just the shell
* Add back foam padding & cover with fabric

I'd also have to make mounting brackets too, which doesn't seem too hard (few mounting points, few L brackets, clamps on the seat posts). I think ideally she'd have something that fits the vertical profile of her back, but is relatively flat horizontally (ie. no side "wings" that keep her in place). That way she can lean side to side and not feel trapped, but at the same time be very well supported when she leans back.

Any feedback? Is this just a bad/crazy idea?
Has anyone tried a DIY approach to custom-fit back cushions?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire